- Cut off the top of the artichoke and most of the stem.
- Use scissors to cut the thorny tips of the leaves that weren’t cut with the knife.
- Rinse artichoke by pulling the leaves apart gently under running water.
- Place artichokes in a large pot of water (Use a pot large enough for artichokes to have room to float between the garlic and lemon slices.)
- Add one lemon, sliced and 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced into the water.
- Once the water begins to boil, turn the burner down to simmer and COVER artichokes with a lid to let them steam for 40 minutes.
- Let artichokes drain in a colander and cool off.
- Serve at room temperature or place in the refrigerator to cool.
Artichoke Dip: (I don’t really measure, so make it to your taste!)
- About 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (or non-dairy yogurt alternative)
- About 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayo of your choice
- About 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (start small and keep adding if you like it more garlicky)
- Whisk together and refrigerate.
How to eat artichoke leaves:
- Peel one leaf from the outside of the artichoke.
- Use your bottom teeth to scrape the inside end you are not holding.
- Discard the rest of the leaf.
- As you get closer to the center of the artichoke, most of each leaf will be edible.
- CAUTION: As you get to the center, you will see the leaves turn purple, and there will be a section you should never eat called the choke. Scoop it out and discard. The artichoke heart is underneath the choke.
Dip and enjoy!